As studies revealed, diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the US, and in the world. In the same time, diabetes can double the risk of heart attack and stroke. However, not many people actually understand what diabetes really is, while some perceive it as a death sentence.
This is not true. Once you were diagnosed with diabetes, it does not mean that it is the end of the world. You can live with diabetes, as long as you take good care of your own health. Diabetes type 2 is a lifestyle disease. Your food choices can prevent or reverse diabetes type 2, as long as you keep an eye on the insulin resistance and resultant.
The first step to reverse diabetes type 2 or type 1, in some cases, is to change your daily food diet. As you know, through food, the body takes what it needs, but sometimes, the abuse of various foods can be harmful, especially in the case of diabetic persons. In this respect, you need to focus on finding the proper balance for your own problem since diabetes is different as every person is different.
Many conventional diabetes diets rely on meat or grains as the main calorie source. However, this is not enough, and sometimes, this is not even indicated. In the case of diabetics, specialists recommend high-nutrient food and low glycemic load foods, which also help you prevent diabetes in the first place.
For this matter, here are the best five foods for reversing diabetes type 2 and controlling diabetes type 1. Make sure you eat them in a balanced manner, and you will see their advantages as soon as possible. However, keep in mind to combine a balanced food diet with proper exercising plan.
1. Green Vegetables. Vegetables give us nutrient-dense intakes. Focus on leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, vegetables in general which are the most important foods for diabetes prevention or reversal. It appears that a greater leafy intake is associated with up to 14% decrease in the risk of type 2 diabetes.
2. Non-Starchy vegetables. Along with the green vegetables, diabetes may be reversed with non-starchy vegetables. In this case, focus on the intake of onions, garlic, peppers or mushrooms, which are essential for diabetes prevention.
3. Beans. Beans, lentils as well as other legumes are the ideal carbohydrate source. They are low in GL and abundant in fibers. They also help fight against colon cancer.
4. Nuts and Seeds. Nuts are low in GL, they help you lose weight, and in the same time, they can have anti-inflammatory effects that might prevent the development of insulin resistance.
5. Fresh Fruits. As you already know, fruits are a rich source of fiber and antioxidants, and in the same time, they can help us prevent weight gain since they can prove to be a nutrient-dense choice for satisfying sweet cravings. Fruits are good for pretty much any part of the body. Stick to berries, kiwi, oranges, and melon to minimize the glycemic effect.